Saturday, October 2, 2010

Albert I of Germany

Rex Albert I of Germany
Albert the first of Germany, aka. Duke Albrecht of Austria, Albert I of Habsburg, is the son of Count Rudolf IV of Germany ( later King Rudolf I ). The mother of Albert I is Gertrude of Hohenberg.

From his mother's bloodline, Duke Albrecht blood reaches into the bloodline of the kings of the German dynasty. Gertrude is the daughter of Count Buchard V of Hohenberg and his wife Mechntild of Tubingen.

House of Habsburg
Coat of Arms
(wikimedia)
By marrying this women Rudolf IV of Germany gained alot of political power which would later help in his gaining the crown of the King of the Roman.

Albert I of Habsburg is the eldest son and goes on to inherit the kings crown for Germany but not on the death of his father. When Rudolf I dies his crown goes to Adolf of Nassau-Weiburg. Albert I does become King of the Roman later when Adolf met his death in the Battle of Golheim (1298).

Albert marries Elizabeth who is of the bloodline of the Babenberg. This lineage stretches farther back than the Habsburg bloodline.

Albert and Gertrude have about ten children.

He is said to be the founder of the great house of Habsburg in some books.

Albert I dies in 1308 and he is succeeded as King of Germany by Henry VII. He is succeeded as Margrave of Mai(b)en by Friedrich II. He is succeeded as Duke of Austria and Styria by Frederick III the Fair and Leopald I.

Sidenote - A Graf is the equivalent of a Count. A Margrave is a noblemam of the mediavel period who inherited the military responsibility of defending a bordered land or province within a kingdom. A duke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter